Saturday, June 16, 2012

Remembering Uncle Laurie...




I've been wanting to write this post for a few weeks now and finally found the card I wanted to go with it. You may recognize it - page 92 of the new Stampin' Up! catalog (my own version, of course!)

This card is inspired by my Uncle Laurie - remember the trip I took to Canada recently? Well, I did visit family. But, the real reason behind it was to attend my Uncle Laurie's funeral. So, today, it's time to tell you a little about how he inspired me....

My Uncle Laurie was a very simple man (hence the card). He never married, but was a best friend to everyone. He never had children, but remembered all his nieces and nephews with phone calls and cards on their birthdays. He never owned his own home, but was welcome in everyone's. He was the one that kept in touch with each of us and let us know when someone wasn't feeling well (unless it was himself!) He never complained, never gossiped and he sent cards! He was always sending cards.... Christmas, Easter, Thanksgiving, birthdays - a holiday never went by without us receiving a card from his address. Sometimes the cards didn't quite match the holiday and one time our 18 year old, Chris (as in Christopher) received a "To My Favorite Niece" card - but nevertheless, there were always cards.



So, here I am.... one of the card makers in the family. I make at least a card a day. But how many of them get sent? How many people get remembered? That's changing this year, Uncle Laurie .... thank you for your inspiration!    Love, Penny



2 comments:

Kathi said...

What a wonderful tribute to your Uncle Laurie, Penny! He sounds like such a wonderful, caring man. I'm very sorry for your loss, I know he will truly be missed by everyone whose life he touched.

Ruthie Graen said...

Thank you for sharing this sweet tribute to your Uncle Laurie. He seems to be an interesting fellow. So sorry for your loss. Now you must keep on the Uncle's tradition... he would be glad you did!